French Olympians inspire Generation 2024 athletes at 15th edition of Etoiles du Sport
Paris 2024 bid to be the focus of week-long gathering of 150 current and former French athletes and Olympians
150 French athletes, including 70 Olympians, will this week share their knowledge, experience and insights on elite sport with ‘Generation 2024’ athletes – the future stars of French sport who will be in their prime when the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games come around.
The knowledge sharing exercise is taking place during the 15th edition of Etoiles du Sport – a week-long gathering of athletes to promote the values of sport, review 2016 and look forward to 2017 – and aims to inspire the next generation of Olympic stars, prepare them for the opportunities relating to the 2024 Games and to further engage young people in Paris and across France with the project.
The Paris 2024 bid will be the focus of Etoiles du Sport which started yesterday (Sunday 11 December) in La Plagne – Europe’s biggest winter sports resort.
The athletes will discuss the future of sport across the country, how the bid can place sport and Olympism at the heart of society in France and how the athlete community can contribute to final stages of the bid, adding to the work already carried out by the Paris 2024 Athletes’ Committee and the athletes who are driving the project forward in decision making positions.
Paris 2024 Co-Chair, Tony Estanguet, said:
"The Paris 2024 bid is led by athletes and powered by the collective energy and will of France’s national sports movement and the 15th edition of Etoiles du Sport is the perfect example of this in action. I am thrilled that we are presented with the opportunity to share our experience and insights in elite sport with the next generation of athletes – fueling further their passion for sport and preparing them for the incredible opportunity of competing at a home Games.
"Our promise is to place sport and Olympism at the heart of society across Paris and France helping the Olympic Movement to create a new generation of fans globally. We are looking forward to a productive week discussing how Paris 2024 can be a Games of passion and purpose, celebrating sport in the heart of a truly global city."
Sarah Ourahmoune, Rio 2016 Silver Medallist in Boxing and Paris 2024 Sport and Society Committee member, said:
"I am honoured to be here with my fellow athletes to celebrate French sport and discuss how sport can have an even bigger positive impact on French society by utilising the Olympic and Paralympic Games as a catalyst to drive real change. Our athlete community has played an integral role in the bid so far and we will continue to harness their energy and enthusiasm as we continue in our ambition to deliver an inspirational Games in 2024 that captures the imagination of the next generation of Olympic stars."
Notes to Editors
Please find attached two images of Tony Estanguet with French athletes and Olympians at the 15th edition of Etoiles du Sport.
Athletes and Olympians present at Etoiles du Sport include:
· Tony Estanguet – triple Olympic Champion and Paris 2024 Co-Chairman
· Marie-Amelie Le Fur – triple Paralympic Champion and Paris 2024 Athletes’ Committee Co-Chair
· Stephane Diagana – Olympian, double World Champion in Athletics and Paris 2024 Athletes’ Committee member
· Michael Jeremiasz – Paralympic Champion in Wheelchair Tennis, Rio 2016 Flag-Bearer and Paris 2024 Athletes’ Committee member
· Sarah Ourahmoune – Olympic Silver Medallist in Boxing and Paris 2024 Sport and Society Committee member
· Tony Yoka – Olympic Champion in Boxing
· Kevin Mayer – Olympic Silver Medallist in Decathlon
· Muriel Hurtis – Olympic Bronze Medallist and Paris 2024 Ambassador
· Laurent Blanc – former France Football captain and FIFA World Cup 1998 and UEFA European Championship 2000 winner
· Elodie Clouvel – Olympic Silver Medallist in Modern Pentathlon
· Youri Djorkaeff – Former French Footballer and FIFA World Cup 1998 and UEFA European Championship 2000 winner
For further information:
Paris 2024 Bid Committee
+33 6 73 16 88 06
+44 (0)7769 216 649
Engage with the Paris 2024 bid here:
As a service to our readers, Around the Rings will provide verbatim texts of selected press releases issued by Olympic-related organizations, federations, businesses and sponsors.
These press releases appear as sent to Around the Rings and are not edited for spelling, grammar or punctuation.
25 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is www.aroundtherings.com, for subscribers only