Security Issues for London 2017 After Westminster Terror Attack

(ATR) Organizers of IAAF World Championships in London are set to review security plans in the wake of Wednesday's tragedy.

Guardar

(ATR) Organizers of this summer’s IAAF World Championships in London are set to review their security plans in the wake of the Westminster terror attack.

Five people including a policeman and the attacker died in Wednesday’s atrocity, an act of terrorism condemned by British Prime Minister Theresa May as "sick and depraved". Another 40 people are injured after the attacker mowed down pedestrians onWestminster Bridge before reaching the Houses of Parliament where he stabbed a policeman to death. He was then shot and killed by police.

With the World Para Athletics Championships taking place in London in July followed by the IAAF worlds in August, there will now be increased focus on the security strategy for the four-week athletics extravaganza after the tragic events. Both competitions will be staged at the stadium in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park that hosted the London 2012 Games.

"The local organising committee of London 2017 are saddened by the loss of life in Westminster yesterday and our thoughts go out to the families and friends of those involved," said a statement by British Athletics and London 2017 sent to Around the Rings.

"As is the case with many major sporting events staged in the UK, the organisers have been and will continue to work closely with the appropriate agencies and partners to ensure the safety and security of those attending the championships this summer."

As the prime minister and Londoners on Thursday vowed not to be cowed by terrorists, MPs returned to parliament to get on with scheduled business.

Prime Minister May confirmed that the British-born attacker likely acted alone. She said the UK's threat level would not change from its current ‘severe’ status.

"Yesterday an act of terrorism tried to silence our democracy but today we meet as normal," May told MPs in the House of Commons today. "We are not afraid and our resolve will never waiver in the face of terrorism. We meet here in the oldest of all parliaments because we know democracy and the values it entails will also prevail."

The British Olympic Association told ATR that none of its top officials or staff had been impacted by the tragic events. "Our thoughts and wishes are with those affected by the London attacks," BOA spokesman Scott Field told ATR.

But several Olympic boxers, including Rio 2016 Olympians Muhammad Ali and Pat McCormack, and others members of GB Boxing did witness part of the attack during a visit to the Houses of Parliament yesterday. They were attending a community event.

GB Boxing confirmed that boxers and coaching staff from its British Lionhearts boxing team have made statements to the police investigating the act of terrorism.

"No members of the British Lionhearts team or coaching staff were harmed in the incident and all of the boxers and staff are safe and well," GB Boxing said.

"The boxers and staff have spoken to the police and security forces and are assisting them with their enquiries into the incident," the statement added, expressing condolences to all of the families that had lost loved ones and conveying sympathies to the dozens hurt in the incident.

The boxers are in London to compete Thursday night in a World Series of Boxing match against Italia Thunder at York Hall. The match remains on schedule.

The IAAF and the IOC have so far not commented on the terror attack.

Reported by Mark Bisson

20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.

Últimas Noticias

Utah’s Olympic venues an integral part of the equation as Salt Lake City seeks a Winter Games encore

Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation chief of sport development Luke Bodensteiner says there is a “real urgency to make this happen in 2030”. He discusses the mission of the non-profit organization, the legacy from the 2002 Winter Games and future ambitions.

Utah’s Olympic venues an integral

IOC president tells Olympic Movement “we will again have safe and secure Olympic Games” in Beijing

Thomas Bach, in an open letter on Friday, also thanked stakeholders for their “unprecedented” efforts to make Tokyo 2020 a success despite the pandemic.

IOC president tells Olympic Movement

Boxing’s place in the Olympics remains in peril as IOC still unhappy with the state of AIBA’s reform efforts

The IOC says issues concerning governance, finance, and refereeing and judging must be sorted out to its satisfaction. AIBA says it’s confident that will happen and the federation will be reinstated.

Boxing’s place in the Olympics

IOC president details Olympic community efforts to get Afghans out of danger after Taliban return to power

Thomas Bach says the Afghanistan NOC remains under IOC recognition, noting that the current leadership was democratically elected in 2019. But he says the IOC will be monitoring what happens in the future. The story had been revealed on August 31 in an article by Miguel Hernandez in Around the Rings

IOC president details Olympic community

North Korea suspended by IOC for failing to participate in Tokyo though its athletes could still take part in Beijing 2022

Playbooks for Beijing 2022 will ”most likely” be released in October, according to IOC President Thomas Bach.

North Korea suspended by IOC