
(ATR) The IOC’s Tokyo 2020 coordination commission inspected the sailing venue for the Games at the conclusion of a three-day visit.
IOC vice president and coordination commission chairman John Coates toured Enoshima Yacht Harbor with vice chairman Alex Gilady on Friday May 27.
They were joined by Tokyo 2020 chief Yoshiro Mori and the governor of Kanagawa prefecture Yuji Kuroiwa.
After the inspection, Coates told the gathered media and athletes "We believe this is going to be a very successful venue."
Enoshima was used at the 1964 Tokyo Games and has been pressed into service after the first choice venue was ruled out due to the potential for problems with air traffic from Haneda airport.
Olympic Broadcast Services and other broadcasters plan to use helicopters to cover the sailing, which requires grounding all other aircraft in the nearby areas.
Tokyo is choosing a different solution to that of Rio 2016 organizers. After considerable negotiations, it was agreed last November that Rio de Janeiro's Santos Dumont Airport, located next to the sailing venue on Guanabara Bay, would close for four and a half hours in the afternoon from Aug. 8-18 to accommodate the sailing schedule.
But there is no flexibility in the window and any races affected by weather will be postponed to the next day during the same specific afternoon time window.
One drawback to the Enoshima venue is the distance from central Tokyo. Located 60km south of Tokyo, the venue is nearly 90 minutes away by train or car.
Click here for photos of the project review.
Reported by Keiya Sano in Tokyo
For general comments or questions,click here.
20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.
Últimas Noticias
Utah’s Olympic venues an integral part of the equation as Salt Lake City seeks a Winter Games encore
Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation chief of sport development Luke Bodensteiner says there is a “real urgency to make this happen in 2030”. He discusses the mission of the non-profit organization, the legacy from the 2002 Winter Games and future ambitions.

IOC president tells Olympic Movement “we will again have safe and secure Olympic Games” in Beijing
Thomas Bach, in an open letter on Friday, also thanked stakeholders for their “unprecedented” efforts to make Tokyo 2020 a success despite the pandemic.

Boxing’s place in the Olympics remains in peril as IOC still unhappy with the state of AIBA’s reform efforts
The IOC says issues concerning governance, finance, and refereeing and judging must be sorted out to its satisfaction. AIBA says it’s confident that will happen and the federation will be reinstated.

IOC president details Olympic community efforts to get Afghans out of danger after Taliban return to power
Thomas Bach says the Afghanistan NOC remains under IOC recognition, noting that the current leadership was democratically elected in 2019. But he says the IOC will be monitoring what happens in the future. The story had been revealed on August 31 in an article by Miguel Hernandez in Around the Rings

North Korea suspended by IOC for failing to participate in Tokyo though its athletes could still take part in Beijing 2022
Playbooks for Beijing 2022 will ”most likely” be released in October, according to IOC President Thomas Bach.



