
(ATR) CCTV is putting itself in position to benefit if the Olympics come back to China in 2022.
The state broadcaster of China will carry the Games in the country through 2024 under a deal announced Thursday by the IOC.
"On behalf of the IOC, I am delighted that we will continue to work with our longstanding broadcast partner CCTV," said IOC president Thomas Bach in a release.
"They have demonstrated many times their ability to bring first class coverage of the Olympic Games to hundreds of millions of Chinese people. The revenue the IOC has secured from this agreement will be redistributed to support future organizers of the Olympic Games, as well as supporting sport and athletes in China and around the world."
CCTV president Hu Zhanfan called it "a win-win agreement" and said his company is "determined to to be, as always, a powerful and exceptional partner of the IOC."
At $550 million, the deal more triples the previous contract for the Olympic TV rights in China, a $160 million dollar deal that covered the 2014 and 2016 Olympics, also with CCTV. The new agreement covers the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, and the 2022 and 2024 Olympics, neither of which has a host yet.
The Chinese Olympic rights were previously sold for $100 million in a deal covering 2010 and 2012. Prior to that, the 2006 Torino and 2008 Beijing Olympics were sold for a now-bargain of $17.5 million to an Asian broadcasting consortium.
Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan are the two finalists to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. The deal could pay off big for CCTV if Beijing’s bid is victorious at next year’s IOC Session in Kuala Lumpur.
Written by Nick Devlin
20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.
Últimas Noticias
Utah’s Olympic venues an integral part of the equation as Salt Lake City seeks a Winter Games encore
Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation chief of sport development Luke Bodensteiner says there is a “real urgency to make this happen in 2030”. He discusses the mission of the non-profit organization, the legacy from the 2002 Winter Games and future ambitions.

IOC president tells Olympic Movement “we will again have safe and secure Olympic Games” in Beijing
Thomas Bach, in an open letter on Friday, also thanked stakeholders for their “unprecedented” efforts to make Tokyo 2020 a success despite the pandemic.

Boxing’s place in the Olympics remains in peril as IOC still unhappy with the state of AIBA’s reform efforts
The IOC says issues concerning governance, finance, and refereeing and judging must be sorted out to its satisfaction. AIBA says it’s confident that will happen and the federation will be reinstated.

IOC president details Olympic community efforts to get Afghans out of danger after Taliban return to power
Thomas Bach says the Afghanistan NOC remains under IOC recognition, noting that the current leadership was democratically elected in 2019. But he says the IOC will be monitoring what happens in the future. The story had been revealed on August 31 in an article by Miguel Hernandez in Around the Rings

North Korea suspended by IOC for failing to participate in Tokyo though its athletes could still take part in Beijing 2022
Playbooks for Beijing 2022 will ”most likely” be released in October, according to IOC President Thomas Bach.


