(ATR) The original Olympic flag - one of the most recognizable symbols of the Olympic Games - has turned 100.
To celebrate the Olympic flag’s centenary, IOC media relations manager Sandrine Tonge tells Around the Rings a copy of the flag has been raised at IOC headquarters. The original flag, preserved at the Olympic museum, is too fragile for use.
The flag was first created for the 1914 Olympic Jubilee Congress in Paris to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Olympic Movement.
The five inter-locking rings were conceived by former IOC president Pierre de Coubertin and are said to represent the five continents present at the Olympic Games. Coubertin is considered the father of the modern Olympic Games and served as IOC president from 1896 to 1925.
The Olympic flag was first flown in an Olympic stadium during the 1920 Antwerp Games.
The flag used during the 1920 Summer Olympics became too worn and was later replaced in 1984. The new flag then debuted at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
During the 1952 Winter Games, the mayor of Oslo commenced a new tradition when he presented the then-IOC vice president with a silk Olympic flag to conclude the Games. This flag has since been passed between cities hosting a Winter Olympic Games.
IOC president Thomas Bach and United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon stopped by the Olympic Museum today to visit the original flag and honor its 100th anniversary.
Written byNicole Bennett
For general comments or questions,click here.
20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics isAroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.