
A bomb shelter located under a theater in the besieged city of Mariupol resisted Ukraine's claim to be a Russian air strike, and survivors were supposedly trapped under it, a representative of the mayor's office said on Thursday.
Ukraine accused Russian troops of dropping powerful bombs on theaters on Wednesday, and said hundreds of civilians, including many children, were taking refuge for more than two weeks during a siege over a fenced port city.
Russia refused to bombard theaters.
“The bomb shelter has been opened. The debris is now being removed. There are survivors, and we still don't know the number of victims.” The adviser of Mayor Petro Andrushchenko told Reuters by phone.
Ukrainian MP Dmytro Gurin, whose parents were locked up in the city, confirmed to the BBC that the bomb shelter survived: “A few minutes ago we received information that the bomb shelter survived and that the people who were there survived.” He told the channel.
According to Andrushchenko, rescue efforts were underway to reach out to survivors and establish the number of victims, which is still unknown. Ukrainian MP Sergiy Taruta, former governor of the Donetsk region where Mariupol is located, later said on Facebook that some people escaped the building, but did not elaborate.
Andreuschenko said that up to 1,000 people had been evacuated there. However, he accused him of hindering recovery efforts by Russian troops that continue to bomb the city.
Images released by the Mariupol City Hall (Mariupol City Hall) showed an entire section of the three-story Grand Theater, which was demolished after Wednesday night's attack. Hundreds of people took refuge from a suffocating Russian siege against the strategic port city of the Sea of Azov (Sea of Azov) that began three weeks ago.
According to the images distributed by the space technology company Maxar, at least from Monday, on the pavement outside the elegant theater, there were large letters that formed the word “CHILD” in Russian.
Maria Zakharova, a spokesman for the Russian Foreign Ministry, said on Thursday that the accusation of Russia's bombing of theaters was a “lie.”
He reiterated that the Kremlin denied the fact that Russian troops attacked civilian areas after the invasion of Ukraine on February 24. He said at a press conference that “Russian troops do not bomb villages and cities,” despite the growing evidence of opposition.
(Including information from Reuters and AP)
Keep reading:
Últimas Noticias
Debanhi Escobar: they secured the motel where she was found lifeless in a cistern
Members of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office in Nuevo León secured the Nueva Castilla Motel as part of the investigations into the case

The oldest person in the world died at the age of 119
Kane Tanaka lived in Japan. She was born six months earlier than George Orwell, the same year that the Wright brothers first flew, and Marie Curie became the first woman to win a Nobel Prize

Macabre find in CDMX: they left a body bagged and tied in a taxi
The body was left in the back seats of the car. It was covered with black bags and tied with industrial tape
The eagles of America will face Manchester City in a duel of legends. Here are the details
The top Mexican football champion will play a match with Pep Guardiola's squad in the Lone Star Cup

Why is it good to bring dogs out to know the world when they are puppies
A so-called protection against the spread of diseases threatens the integral development of dogs

