(ATR) The IOC could analysis this week on whether professional boxers from around the globe will be invited to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics .
The latest on the IOC task force handling organization of the sport in Tokyo is on the agenda for the latest meeting of the Executive Board October 2 and 3 in Lausanne.
The IOC task force was named earlier this year to take care of the qualification and staging of the 2020 boxing tournament. The group was formed following the suspension of international federation AIBA, which traditionally has handled qualifications and the staging of the Olympic tournament .
An IOC source familiar with the work underway towards Tokyo tells Around the Rings says it’s likely that the doors to the Olympics could be open to professionals from all of the boxing codes across the globe.
"No distinction will be made between athletes of any boxing code, in accordance with current AIBA rules. However, all boxers must comply with the AMA anti-doping code, as well as age limits in accordance with the AIBA eligibility rules," ATR is told.
During a press conference in Mexico City, officials with the the Mexican Boxing Federation (FMB) and the National Boxing Commission (CONABOX) created by the President of the Republic, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, say they are preparing a " Mexican Dream Team".
"We announce the spectacular news that the InternationalOlympic Committee approved in writing the participation of professional boxers in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. We will make a national call to obtain the best boxing delegation in history," said CONABOX president Miguel Torruco.
But the officials could not confirm whether top fighters such as Saul "Canelo" Alvarez or the heavyweight Andy Ruiz will try to qualify for the Games.
FMB president Ricardo Contreras told reporters that although he still has no official confirmation of famous Mexican professional fighters he did speak with some recently in Los Angeles and they showed interest.
So far there are no confirmed names for the Olympic qualification tournament for the Americas. It’s scheduled for March 26 in Buenos Aires.
The decision to open the doors to professionals is not being welcomed by World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaimán. He says there are risks to the boxers and he’s warning that WBC boxers could face sanctions if they compete at the Olympics.
AIBA tried to bring more professionals into the Olympic qualifying tournament in 2016. But with limits on the number of professional bouts and other concerns few participated.
There is also a concern that some professionals may be so overmatched over amateur opponents that the fighting is neither fair or safe.
The IOC may also review analysis of protective headgear. Eliminated from the men’s competition in Rio, headgear could return for safety sake in 2020.
Reported by Miguel Hernandez.