(ATR)The suspended FIFA president is being treated in a Swiss hospital after suffering a "small emotional breakdown".
The 79-year-old, provisionally banned for 90 days last month amid a criminal investigation concerning a "disloyal" $2.1 million payment to UEFA's Michel Platini, is expected to make a full recovery.
"My brain and heart are fine, but my body is letting me down," Blatter said through his spokesman Klaus Stoehlker, according to the BBC.
Stoehlker said Blatter was "fully fighting against the ethics committee decision" and insisted that it would not "put me out of the game".
Blatter is expected to leave the hospital on Monday.
One of the seven candidates lining up to replace him at the Feb. 26 presidential election, Gianni Infantino, has confirmed that he will withdraw from the race if Platini, also suspended last month, clears his name and is allowed to stand.
In an interview with the Associated Press, UEFA's general secretary also outlined some of his FIFA presidential manifesto pledges.
Infantino would expand the World Cup from 32 to 40 teams if elected. He indicated that the exciting qualifying campaign for Euro 2016, up from 16 to 24 nations, had influenced the World Cup plan. The promise could help the Swiss lawyer secure votes from outside Europe.
"I have been working with Michel Platini for the last nine years. We share many views and many ideas," he added. "It's obvious we have the same philosophy on many things but I am a candidate on my own, I will have ideas on my own."
Written by Mark Bisson
20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribersonly.